tcsh as login shell causes problems for DecWindows! Help.

jay dubb jdubb at bucsf.bu.edu
Tue Mar 5 07:32:37 AEST 1991

   I am posting this for a friend of mine who doesn't have access
to USENET, so please respond directly to mlevin at jade.tufts.edu.

   I have a DEC Vaxstation II/RC running Ultrix 4.1 and DecWindows. I
have noticed that when I use chsh to setup tcsh as the login shell for
a user, that user is not able to log in: after typing his username and
password at the login prompt, the screen clears, and then instead of
running the session manager etc., it brings back the DEC logo and
login: prompt. Any ideas on why this happens or how to prevent it? Is
anyone out there using tcsh as their login shell on a DEC Workstation?

				Mike Levin (mlevin at jade.tufts.edu)