Manpath?

Magnus Olsson magnus%thep.lu.se at Urd.lth.se
Wed Mar 20 00:37:38 AEST 1991

The manual pages for man (1) say that one can use the -P manpath
option to search for manual pages in a different place than the
usual /usr/man/man?. However, this means that the man command
won't find the usual man pages.

Is there a simple way of making man search first in the usual place,
and then, if the mn page isn't found, in another directory (e.g.
/usr/local/man)? It's a bit irritating to have to install the manual
pages for local software in /usr/man - we lost some manual pages for
this reason the last time we upgraded the system.

Magnus Olsson                   | \e+      /_
Dept. of Theoretical Physics    |  \  Z   / q
University of Lund, Sweden      |   >----<
Internet: magnus at thep.lu.se     |  /      \===== g
Bitnet: THEPMO at SELDC52          | /e-      \q