question about rlogin/window size

Chris Torek torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov
Wed Mar 27 05:42:25 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar25.225654.22933 at boingo.med.jhu.edu>
dave at boingo.med.jhu.edu (David Heath) writes:
>I am using the rlogin program on dec ultrix 4.0 to rlogin into various
>hosts. Rlogin uses the TIOCGWINSZ ioctl to find the window size and pass
>it to the remote rlogind. This USUALLY works for me. However, it sometimes
>doesn't and NEVER works when I run rlogin from a shell script rather than
>typing in the rlogin command myself. ...

Around August 1986, I put a fair amount of work into fixing the BSD
rlogin program.  It had several race conditions, among other problems.
If DEC have not picked up these fixes yet, that would explain the
problem.

Note that since rlogin uses `rcmd' and rcmd races with the SIGURG
handler, you must change rcmd as well.  In the version I ran on Sun
workstations I used the expedient of copying the library rcmd routine
into rlogin itself, and adding the missing F_SETOWN fcntl.

Those suffering with impoverished environments may be able to make
use of the BSD software found on uunet.  No statement of warranties
implied, etc., etc.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Lawrence Berkeley Lab CSE/EE (+1 415 486 5427)
Berkeley, CA		Domain:	torek at ee.lbl.gov