Key repeat under X

Jim Gettys jg at crl.dec.com
Wed Mar 13 07:25:19 AEST 1991

In article <0brHrFb0BwwKI8lStO at transarc.com>, Steve_Lammert at TRANSARC.COM writes:

> Does this mean that the console on DECstations
> will also be getting a useful terminal type?

If what you mean is the console's behavior before X is running, the answer is no.
I ran out of energy to do anything in this area, though I did redo how the keyboard
works pretty completely, to make it "do the right thing" according to the X protocol
spec within the limitations of what the current keyboard hardware will do.
(not to mention fixing long standing problems with hot swapping keyboards, for example).
(i.e. up/down while autorepeating will work, and per key control over autorepeat).
It would now be pretty easy to do, however, and the work would be able to be shared
among all the display types, which was never true of the old horrible, disgusting,
messes of Ultrix display drivers... I consider it the best form of progress to be
able to throw away code, which is what is now beginning to happen.  Nothing like
having less code to maintain, and less code to write for new displays, and less
problems with system configuration, as one server will run on multiple display types.

The other major feature is that it is much less work to deal with new display types,
which should make third party's lives very much easier when they want to do TURBOchannel
displays on our machines.
			- Jim