awk -f - in Ultrix 4.0

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Wed Mar 27 04:59:32 AEST 1991

In article <2182 at riscy.enet.dec.com> frank at croton.nyo.dec.com (Frank Wortner) writes:
> In article <20082 at cbmvax.commodore.com>, grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
> (George Robbins) writes:
>
> > It is also mildly amusing to note that nawk doesn't support "-f -"
>
> ... but the ULTRIX nawk man page explicitly says that it does:
>
> 	"There are two ways to specify the nawk program:
>
> 	(a) ...
>
> 	(b) By using the -f programfile option (where programfile con-
> 	tains the nawk program).  More than one -f option can appear
> 	on the command line.  The program will consist of the con-
> 	catenation of the contents of all the specified program-
> 	files.  You can use - in place of a file name, to obtain
> 	input from the standard input."

Which version of Ultrix adopts nawk?  My info pertained to the standard
AT&T version (SVR3.2 I think) that I tried to port to Ultrix...  The Ultrix
man page doesn't seem to match that or the SVr4 man page, which is still
ambiguous as to wheter the - applies to the -f, or just "input".

Does the "-f -" really work, or did some Ultrix person attempt to clarify
the man page and succeed in telling a lie.   8-)

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com