gnode: table is full

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Mon Mar 11 19:39:28 AEST 1991

In article <2671 at shodha.enet.dec.com> alan at shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes:
> In article <19682 at cbmvax.commodore.com>, grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
> > In article <2663 at shodha.enet.dec.com> alan at shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes:
> > >
> > > 	[ Wherein I explain what a gnode is. ]
> >
> > [ George reasonably points out that the message "out of gnodes" can
> >   can come from a disk that's out of gnodes, as opposed to the kernel
> >   table running out. ]
>
> 	I haven't seen it on a V4.x system, but sometimes on a V3.x
> 	systems a disk that goes offline would eventually cause the
> 	"out of gnodes" message to be printed.  So, broken hardware
> 	can also cause it.

Well I came real close to mentioning that, but then disk problems just
aren't supposed to happen, are they.  I think the last time I saw it
(Ultrix 3.1C-0) is when my HSC decided to run some in-line tests and
the HSC driver couldn't figure out what was going on.

BTW, don't you thing the message for out of "gnodes" on disk ought
to be changed back to "inodes"?  They're only really gnodes when they're
in memory with all that baggage linked in, and all the FFS/filesystem
related documentation still talks about inodes...

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com