Routing DECNet Mail to SMTP (Ultrix) (Novice question)

Shawn Mamros mamros at cavedog.irc.cbm.dec.com
Fri May 10 01:14:58 AEST 1991

The easiest solution would be to install DECnet on one of the ULTRIX
machines.  Then you could just send mail from the VMS box to
UNODE::user (where UNODE is the DECnet node name of your ULTRIX
box).  You might have to change the definition of the Y macro in
sendmail.cf if your (unqualified) ULTRIX hostname isn't the same
as its DECnet node name, but other than that, your ULTRIX box
can handle the rest.

There are also some various third-party packages that allow VMS
boxes to speak SMTP, but I can't personally vouch for any of them.

-Shawn Mamros
 mamros at irc.cbm.dec.com
 Disclaimer: I wouldn't even know what the "official" opinions are
    if there were any...