etherfind like program for Ultrix4.x

Jeffrey Mogul mogul at pa.dec.com
Tue May 7 10:44:06 AEST 1991

In article <63994 at bbn.BBN.COM> franco at bbn.com (Frank A. Lonigro) writes:
>Is there a program out there I can ftp for Ultrix that does what etherfind
>does on SUNs?  I'd like it to work on DECsystems and VAXsystems.

The "tcpdump" program (from Lawrence Berkeley Labs) is based on etherfind,
but much improved.  The latest release works on Ultrix 4.0 systems and later.

You can FTP it from gatekeeper.dec.com:pub/net/tcpdump-2.0.tar.Z

Your Ultrix kernel has to be configured to include the "packetfilter"
pseudo-device (this is NOT the default), you must have done
"cd /dev ; MAKEDEV pfilt" to create the necessary file system entries,
and you must run "/usr/etc/pfconfig +p -a" (as super-user) after each
reboot (i.e., in your /etc/rc.local file).

-Jeff