Using "dd" copy copy disk partitions

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Sun May 19 05:52:00 AEST 1991

In article <8410 at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:

> 	I have used "dd" to copy one disk partition to another over
> ethernet (dd if=/dev/foo | rsh another dd of=/dev/bar).  Unfortunately,
> this causes the destination partition to believe it is the SAME SIZE
> as the original partition, despite how it was created by newfs.

Given that the partition is self described in the super block and that
there are secondary structures on cylinder group basis this is not a
reasonable expectatation.

The partition is only a container, the filesystem is a structure that may
or may not use the entire area.  For that matter you can create a "filesystem"
structure in places other than disk partitions, though unix may decline to
mount the structure and many of the tools are special cased to the point of
being broken these days...

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com