ACE, buses, and the future of ultrix

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Tue May 7 00:04:35 AEST 1991

In article <816 at cadlab.sublink.ORG> martelli at cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) writes:

| I share your perplexity; and I shake my head at the rumor that Dec is going
| to hand over Ultrix-cum-OSF/1, lock, stock, and barrel, to SCO, to become
| the base of the ACEy ODT, which Dec will in turn adopt, dropping Ultrix...
| I hope this last rumor is wildly unfounded???  We're evaluating a centralized
| NFS server, and DS5500 was looking pretty good, but I would be VERY hesitant
| to place in such a crucial hub role in our LAN a box from a company who has
| just decided its system software is better manufactured by somebody else!

  I think the most likely course is that SCO will start from Mach and go
from there. And why shouldn't DEC have someone make their software, when
they are having someone (MIPS) make their CPU?
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
        "Most of the VAX instructions are in microcode,