Decnet-tcp/ip gateway.

Ian Dall idall at augean.ua.oz.au
Thu May 30 01:12:58 AEST 1991

We have a zillion Vaxes and one lonely DecStation. The DecStation has
Decnet and the decnet-tcp/ip gateway software (as well, of course as
tcp-ip). We also have some tcp-ip only X terminals.

What we want to be able to do is run DecWindows clients on the VMS
machines and have them use the X server on the X terminals. Is this
possible? We would very much prefer a solution which ran on the
DecStation rather than the VMS machines since we would have to get
rather a lot of licences if we had the VMS solution (unless one VMS
machine could act as a gateway).

It seems to me that this could be done two ways. One would be for the
DecStation to appear as multiple nodes (the extra nodes being pseudo
nodes for the X terminals). The other would be to have the X terminals
appear as extra displays on the Decstation. Of course, being possible,
and being implimented are two different things...

--
 Ian Dall           life (n). A sexually transmitted disease which afflicts
                              some people more severely than others.
   ACSnet: idall at augean.oz
 Internet: idall at augean.oz.au