swap area size on DECstation 2100 ?

Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File. alan at shodha.enet.dec.com
Sat May 18 05:11:53 AEST 1991

In article <75998 at brunix.UUCP>, lr at cs.brown.edu (Luigi Rizzo) writes:
> Thanks to all who responded to my previous posting on the double login bug.
>
> I'm now looking to modify disk partitioning on our 2 DS2100 machines,
> which have a 330MB disk each (RZ55). The standard installation
> procedure allocates about 65MB of swap space, which is very large compared
> to the disk size. Our applications for sure do not require so much
> memory, but I have little experience on how memory-consuming can be
> standard Xwindows applications (xterm, xdvi) and Ultrix compilers.
> Any advise ? Here are the current partitions.

	[ remainder deleted. ]

	You could:

	   1.  Backup /usr.
	   2.  Repartition to make B smaller and and G take over
	       the new space.
	   3.  Create a new file system on G.
	   4.  Restore /usr.

	But I don't think it would be worth it.  If you find that
	that one extra application isn't running because of an
	"out of core" message, then clearly you need more page/
	swap space.  You're at a point that you may need more
	disk space anyway.  The thing that tend to do is add an
	RZ23 or RZ24 to the system.  They don't take up anymore
	disk space since they fit inside the DECstation cabinet.

	To get more space on the root file system I usually move
	/genvmunix somewhere else.  Don't outright delete it, you
	might need it someday, but it doesn't need to permanently
	reside on the root file system.  If you have space in /usr
	I recommend: /sys/MIPS/GENERIC.

> 	Thanks
> 	Luigi

	You're welcome.