Using "dd" copy copy disk partitions

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Sun May 19 10:02:43 AEST 1991

grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:
>I write:
>>
>> 	Using dd to copy filesystems can also be a whole lot slower than
>> using dump | restore
>
>Wrongo!  On any decent sized filesystemm, restore is *much* slower than
>dump.  You'd need a better than 2-1 ratio to make your point.

	Hmmmm... Teach me to post without benchmarking. I've been in
the habit of doing the dump | restore thing for years because I have a
few cases where it was a HELL of a lot faster stuck in my mind. Not sure
why, though, and I guess I'd assumed it was that I wasn't pumping unused
blocks over the network. It might have been that the disks were not very
full at all.

mjr.