daisy chaining SCSI devices on a ds3100

Rob McNicholas robm at ataraxia.Berkeley.EDU
Sat May 11 09:54:25 AEST 1991

Hi all,

I have a DECstation 3100 (24M memory, ULTRIX V4.1 (Rev. 55), one
storage expansion box) with the following SCSI configuration:

SCSI id		device			order in chain
--------	------			--------------
0		rz57			1 ? (internal to storage expansion)
1		rz55			3
2		rz57			1 ? (internal to storage expansion)
3		UNUSED			UNUSED
4		TZK08 (exabyte 8mm)	2
5		TK50			4

I was wondering if the order the devices are connected together
affects their performance.  I seem to remember reading somewhere that
slower devices, like tape drives, should be either earlier or later in
the chain, but I can't remeber the details or where I might have read
it.  Reading through the operators manual that came with my machine
revealed no relevant information.

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks,

-Rob

--
Rob McNicholas			Computer Systems Support Group, U.C. Berkeley
robm at janus.berkeley.edu		....!ucbvax!janus!robm