swap area size on DECstation 2100 ?

Paul Killey paul at caen.engin.umich.edu
Thu May 23 08:00:52 AEST 1991

In article <3166 at shodha.enet.dec.com>, alan at shodha.enet.dec.com ( Alan's
Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes:

|> 	But I don't think it would be worth it.

That is, shrinking swap.

You can use 45M of swap by running some xterms, xrn, xmh, etc.  I.e.,
not even doing anything -:).  Well, running a nameserver and providing
some fileservice too, but not that much.

Right now, I am using mwm, have some xterms and xmh and xrn fired up,
and am using 44.5M out of 66M of swap.  This summer we are going to
100M of swap at least to support some AI and mcad/ecad software we
anticpate running next fall.  Right now 68M swap is not enough for some
people in our engineering college environment to do whatever it is they
want to do.  Well, it's enough for the CS people because its plenty for
"mail" and "telnet" -:).

Add in the background job or two, and there you have it.

"1984" was a typo.