DECwindows on Sun w/s

Robert Evans robert at computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk
Fri May 31 20:28:05 AEST 1991

In order to experiment with DECwindows, I'm trying to run it on a Sun 3/60
workstation.  I run the OpenWindows (2.0) server on the Sun and invoke a local
xterm as the console and run a dxsession client from a VAX 8350.  (We don't
have any DECstations yet).

This works and I can start DECwindows clients from the dxsession (and
OpenWindows clients from the local console).

However, I'm having some trouble with fonts.  First, many dx clients
(including dxterm) complain of a missing font:

X Toolkit Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-MENU-MEDIUM-R-Normal--*-120-*-*-P-*-ISO8859-1" type fontlist, using fixed font

and, worse, dxue is unusable because its lists of filenames overlap and are
unreadable (I guess this is a font problem).

I know DECwindows uses strange fonts and I've copied over
DECwindows_on_X11R4_font.aliases and put them in fonts.alias but this makes
no difference.

Does anyone know what I should do to solve these problems?  Does DECwindows
work correctly on a generic X11r4 Xterminal (with the additional fonts.alias),
ie. is this an OpenWindows problem?

Thanks
--
  Robert Evans, Dept of Computing Maths, University of Wales College of Cardiff,
  PO Box 916, Cardiff, Wales, UK, CF2 4YN.  Tel: +44 (0)222 874000 x 5518
  Internet: R.Evans%computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
  UUCP:     R.Evans at cf-cm.UUCP or ...!uunet!mcsun!ukc!cf-cm!R.Evans
  Janet:    R.Evans at uk.ac.cardiff.computing-maths