guidelines for installation of MIT X11R4 on DECstation 5000

Ian! D. Allen [CGL] idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu
Fri May 3 14:08:41 AEST 1991

In article <muts.672525577 at fysaj> muts at fysak.fys.ruu.nl (Peter Mutsaers) writes:
>fingerhu at ircam.fr (Michel Fingerhut) writes:
>
>>We removed UWS altogether.  As to the console mode, we have *two* potential
>>/etc/ttys files, one called /etc/ttys.X11, with the line
>
>>    console	"/etc/getty std.9600" vt100 off	secure	# console terminal
>
>>and one called /etc/ttys.noX11 with:
>
>>    console	"/etc/getty std.9600" vt100 on	secure	# console terminal
>
>Why not put the console on always (I did this). It doesn't hurt, [...]

Yes it does hurt, at least on Xqdss displays.  Having getty print a
login banner on your console while X is trying to use the display
causes all kinds of silly problems such as missing cursors, bad colour
maps, garbled output, etc.  You really do have to turn off the console
on colour displays.
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen at watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen at watcgl.waterloo.edu
 [129.97.128.64]  Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada