Help: Compiling CAP6.0 (EtherTalk) on DS3100, Ultrix4.1

Mike Iglesias iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu
Thu May 9 15:11:58 AEST 1991

In article <1991May9.005807.3501 at pa.dec.com> mogul at pa.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) writes:
>I'm afraid that I can't help you directly, since we don't have any
>Ethertalk systems here to test.  However, Mike Iglesias tells me that
>he got CAP60 running on his Ultrix 4.1 system.  You might try contacting
>him (iglesias at draco.acs.uci.edu).

As I remember, I didn't have to do anything special to get it working using
the Ultrix DLI.  I asked for UAB when I ran Configure, did the make,
installed it, created the bridge_desc file, and away it went (after a
couple of fixed typos, and getting things started in the right order).
We already had CAP running on other systems (Suns) here.

>However, I am looking for people to test my code that lets CAP use
>the Ultrix packet filter (instead of Ultrix DLI).  Mike tells me that
>this makes one of his tests run about 14 times faster.  Please send
>me email and I'll send you the new source modules; once I get a reasonably
>warm feeling about them, I'll send them to the CAP developers and hope
>that they make it into the next CAP release.

Yes, it really did run that much faster.  My test was to copy a file
(~200k) from a Mac to my DECstation 5000's local disk.  With Jeff's
packetfilter mods, it was about as fast as our Sun Sparc 2 CAP server,
which is running Rutgers CAP.  CAP+Ultrix DLI took 71 seconds,
CAP+Ultrix pfilt took 5.  I was suprised by the difference, so I ran
the test several times to make sure.  I was running the following
CAP daemons:  uab, atis, aufs.

I'm no Mac/CAP/whatever-talk expert, so I may not be able to answer
some questions about CAP and Ultrix, but I will try.

Mike