double 'login:' prompt on Ultrix 4.1

Andreas Karrer karrer at bernina.ethz.ch
Sat May 18 03:55:53 AEST 1991

eanv20 at castle.ed.ac.uk (John Woods) writes:

[... stuff about telnetd.gw displaying "login: " prompt twice ...]

>Nope. I've mailed DEC about this, but so far have no response. If anyone
>gets an answer - please post!

Well I asked the local DEC people for a patch 6 Months ago. No response either.

Then the other day I called them again and told them someone on the net said
that there was a patch. Two hours later I got it, tarred, compressed and uuencoded.

>From the README:
        (01/10/90) telnetd.gw, double login prompt

        The DECnet/Internet gateway version of telnetd (telnetd.gw) in its
        non-gateway mode (i.e., as just a regular telnetd) would incorrectly
        prompt twice for a login name.  Patched telnetd.gw's have a patch date
        of 01/09/91 (do "what /usr/etc/telnetd.gw | fgrep PATCH").