DEC RISC cc chokes on large auto array

Morris Strongson mms at bnlux1.bnl.gov
Tue May 7 05:31:36 AEST 1991

    The following complicated C program gives a
"Segmentation fault (core dumped)"  message when compiled and run under the
cc compiler that comes with Ultrix 4.1 on our DECsystem 5000 (RISC).  The
value for UIDMAX I really wanted was 65536, but all values starting with
64971 cause it to crash (64970 works).  The original was much bigger, but
this boils the problem down to its essential parts.  Moving the array above
main works as well.

-------------------------begin included prograsm-----------
#define UIDMAX 64971

main()
{
  long x[UIDMAX][2];      /* 0 for total, 1 for file count */
  printf("entering disksort\n");
}

    This seems to be a rather basic (poor choice of word) program, and I
find it rather distressing that something this simple would fail.  Is
there a later version of the compiler available?  Thanks.

		Morris Strongson  INTERNET:  mms at bnlux1.bnl.gov
				  BITNET:    mms at bnlux0.BITNET

		Morris Strongson  INTERNET:  mms at bnlux0.bnl.gov
				  BITNET:    mms at bnlux0.BITNET