VAX 3100 Slow!

dayhoff@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil -- harv dayhoff at ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil
Sun May 12 01:12:31 AEST 1991

In article <3058 at shodha.enet.dec.com>, alan at shodha.enet.dec.com
       ( Alan's Home for Wayward Notes File.) writes:
> In article <7453 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM>, jls2 at spdcc.COM (Jeff Stoner) writes:
>>

>> I am received complaints that the VAX 3100 is "intolerably slow".
>> I understand that the VAX CPU will be inherently slower than the RISC ones,
>> but is there anything I can do to speed up the VAX? I don't have
>> Ultrix source code, but anything else would be fair game.
>
> 	The problem is that the phrase "intolerably slow" contains
> 	almost no information about the system performance.  It
> 	could be any number of things:

[possibilities deleted]

I must agree, my stock VS3100, 8 Meg, color, local disks,
does quite well w/ 4 DECterms and calendar.
I was taking a bit of a performance hit due to short swap space
and slow RZ23's....  Fixed by adding high speed Wren.
I still get impatient at times, but such is life.
I do program development and admin. If I made my living at
number crunching or supper spiffy graphics the VS would be too slow.
> 	If you have Internet access consider picking up a copy of
> 	the program Monitor from gatekeeper.dec.com.
...Seems as though Monitor takes an unfair ammount of disk space.

harv        dayhoff at ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil