ku_fastsend ethernet blocking

Godfrey Paul gjap at ukc.ac.uk
Wed May 1 20:07:42 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr29.101150.8213 at cm.cf.ac.uk>
robert at computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Robert Evans) writes:
>A week after upgrading to Ultrix 4.1, we started getting the follow error:
>               ku_fastsend: transmit failed on de0, _errno 55

We get this error message on the console of DECstation 3100s if
the ether is unplugged for more than a few seconds.  All machines
on the disconnected segment display this message repeatedly on their
consoles, and have to be rebooted.  Errno 55 is ENOBUFS, "No buffer
space available"; reasonable if the network is jammed.  But they
ought to be able to recover.

Suns have no problem with a temporary break in the ether and neither
should they!  Anybody know a fix for this?  It's more than a bit
irritating when moving kit about.

We're running a version of MIPS Ultrix older than 4.0.  I thought it
was 3.something, but "strings /vmunix | grep Ultrix" gives
"Ultrix Worksystem V2.1 (Rev. 14)"

Godfrey