dial-out/terminal program for Ultrix 4.x

Marcus J. Ranum mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com
Sun May 19 03:13:43 AEST 1991

ltf at ncmicro.lonestar.org (Lance Franklin) writes:

>Alternately, has anybody had any better luck porting pcomm, xcomm or ECU
>to Ultrix?  In particular, how does one keep getty or uucp from grabbing
>the tty port while you're using it?

	Locks on modems are traditionally done by placing a lock file
with the device name in /usr/spool/uucp, named LCK..dev, so a lock for
a modem hooked up to /dev/ttyd1 would be LCK..ttyd1

	Other versions of uucp may have a separate lock directory or
naming scheme other than Ultrix' - Ultrix' uucp is a little closer to
uucp's ancestral roots.

	As far as pcomm, etc goes, I can't help you. When I need to get
Vt100 emulation, I run "vtem" - a Vt100 emulator, on top of tip.

mjr.