Fortran weirdnesses

Henk Mos mos at fys.ruu.nl
Thu May 2 08:04:55 AEST 1991

In <HUDGENS.91Apr29142057 at sun13.sun13.SCRI.FSU.EDU> hudgens at sun13.SCRI.FSU.EDU (Jim Hudgens) writes:

>This is on a Decstation 5000, Ultrix 4.1, f77 == U4V2.0p.

>Anyone ever seen anything like this???  A GKS window appears,
>and then the dbx drops out with the "I/O possible" message.  Anyone
>know what might be causing this?

We have the same problems with 2.0. After creating a window (GKS3D) the
first line you draw will not show up. But there are more serious problems
with 2.0. Compiling with -O3 will give a very good speedup
because sometimes DO loops will just be skipped! We just received
the new 3.0 (2.1 has the same problems) but...

Have a look:

	program test
	a = 3.
	b = 2(a)
	c = 2**3(a)
	write (6,*) b, c
	end

This will compile (3.0) without any errors and the results are:

3.00000  24.00000

There are memory allocation and floating points problems as well, but
they are very difficult to locate. There seems to be an update so we'll
see.

Henk Mos

Henk J. Mos, Dept of Physics and Astrophysics, Utrecht University
The Netherlands.  Phone: 31-30-532239    Email: mos at fys.ruu.nl