ACE, buses, and the future of ultrix

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Wed May 8 15:46:23 AEST 1991

In article <DV3B=4A at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (peter da silva) writes:
> In article <816 at cadlab.sublink.ORG>, martelli at cadlab.sublink.ORG (Alex Martelli) writes:
> > I hope this last rumor is wildly unfounded???  We're evaluating a centralized
> > NFS server, and DS5500 was looking pretty good, but I would be VERY hesitant
> > to place in such a crucial hub role in our LAN a box from a company who has
> > just decided its system software is better manufactured by somebody else!
>
> Given DEC's past problems with system software, I see this as a hopeful sign.

DEC's transgressions and omissions pale compared to SCO.  Even idiocy like the
dump vs super-user thing that recently re-surfaced.  Things would be far worse
in a multi-party system software environment where the customer service
responsibility and the development responsibility are even further separated
than present.

Now, if DEC would just donate LAT and MIPS support to CSRG, I could punt on the
whole mess and run 4.4 BSD (someday).  8-)   8-(

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com