tlz04 density

Melanie Anderson melanie at director.beckman.uiuc.edu
Thu May 16 04:32:45 AEST 1991

aej at manyjars.WPI.EDU (Allan E Johannesen) writes:

>On 15 May 91 01:20:25 GMT,
>melanie at director.beckman.uiuc.edu (Melanie Anderson) said:
>melanie> Sender: usenet at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (News)

>melanie> what is the 'recording density' of a TLZ04? and length?
>melanie> inquiring minds want to know.

>With a simple test program, I found I could write 107,528 10240 byte
>blocks to the dat before error.  It would write 39,792 32768 byte
>blocks, if anyone cares (I have a different system which writes this
>different 'dump' blocksize).

thanks for the info, but that's not exactly what i asked. i already
know i can get about a gig or so on a tape. i meant 'record density' as
in 'bit density' as in 1600bpi or 6250bpi or 2**164b/sqmm or whatever.
you can take blocksize * total blocks written to end of tape / tape
length and get a rough approximation, but that ignores the inter-block
gap and also assumes you know the length (which i can't find anywhere
on the packaging of the maxell tapes i buy, i mean, you get all sorts
of bizzare tape info on commercial audio cassettes like length, dynamic
range, record speed, shell color availability, but all i get on my dat
tapes is "Adoption of newly developed superfine ceramic armor
metal-particle magnetic material achieves superb durability and high
output. Reproduces excellent high-fidelity digital sound even after
repeated use." well i would certainly *hope* so!)

this is all just for my own personal edification -- diatribes on how
DAT data is recorded would be most welcome. the TLZ manual is not
exactly informative.

Melanie Anderson			msa at uiuc.edu
Beckman Institute			PHMETR::MELANIE
University of Illinois			217/244-1079