Help with FUJITSU SCSI disk drive

Charley Kneifel kneifel at bnlux1.bnl.gov
Sat May 4 02:20:32 AEST 1991

Hello,

	We just got a Fujitsu M2263 SCSI drive to hook up to a DS3100
running Ultrix (currently 3.1, going to 4.1 next week).  I am able to
format the disk using the rzdisk utility and have mounted it
successfully.  I made a guess at the disktab entry from the hardware
manual.  I have two problems.  The first is that the disk uses 512
byte blocks which gives me a formatted capacity of 671.9 MB, which is
what mkfs thinks is there.  The docs say that the capacity can be
704.5 MB if I format with a 1 Kb block size.  RZ disk would not let me
change the block size parameter. The second problem is that even though
mksees a 671.9 MB disk, the largest size I can see if 628.4 MB.  If
I change the disktab entry I can get it as high as 631 MB which was
hardly worth the effort.  This is using the c partition which should
be the entire disk.

Here is my disktab entry:

m2263|M2263|M2263S Fujitsu:\
        :ty=winchester:ns#54:nt#15:nc#1632:\
        pa#32768:ba#8192:fa#1024:\
        pb#131072:bb#8192:fb#1024:\
        pc#1312300:bc#8192:fc#1024:\
        pd#382820:bd#8192:fd#1024:\
        pe#382820:be#8192:fe#1024:\
        pf#382820:bf#8192:ff#1024:\
        pg#1148460:bg#8192:fg#1024:

Are there any archive sites which have a listing of disktab entries for
the major disk manufacturers?  I search through the archive database
at McGill with no success.  Does anyone have any recommendations for
books which describe the magic neccesary for disktab configuration?

Charley
(kneifel at bnlux1.bnl.gov) or
(kneifel at atoms.chem.sunysb.edu)