unices

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Sun Dec 27 15:02:53 AEST 1981

>From sdcarl!rusty at Berkeley Sun Dec 27 14:48:08 1981
This is something I've been curious about and now that
this netnews stuff is spreading its tentacles around I
thought it might be a good time to toss out my request.

I am interested in information on the various versions
and flavors of Unix. Information such as "There is a
Unix called Version 7 available from Bell Labs, it is
the successor to their Version 6 Unix, it differs from
Version 6 by being slower but more robust. As distributed
it will probably only run on the larger PDP11s; 11/45
and 11/70, but with some work one might be able to get
it to run on an 11/34.", or "There is a Unix called 32/V
available from Bell Labs, it is essentially identical to
their Version 7 Unix but it runs on the DEC Vax 11/780.",
etc. Useful information would be a comparison against
Version 7 or Version 6 Unix, advantages and disadvantages
in comparison to Bell Lab's Unix, machines it runs on,
price, distinguishing features, etc.

It also might be interesting to get information on systems
that are supersets of Unix, for example I have heard of
something called Trix that I think is being developed at
MIT.

If you could send your information to me I will collect
it all together and then send it back out. My uucp net-
work address is

	...!ucbvax!sdcarl!rusty

>From within Bell Labs I can be reached as

	...!research!sdcarl!rusty
	...!cbosgd!sdcarl!rusty
	...!ihnss!sdcarl!rusty		(this may not still work)

>From the arpanet as

	csvax.rusty at berkeley