User-oriented line editor.

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Sun Dec 27 12:50:20 AEST 1981

>From decvax!utzoo!mleech at Berkeley Sun Dec 27 12:36:41 1981
[I am sending this to the unix-wizards list for lack of an Arpanet
   gateway and because other installations may be intererested...]

I have been developing a "dumb-user" oriented line editor at this
  department for about the last year and a half. We are a zoological
  department and most of our users have little or no experience in
  dealing with computerized text/word processing. I recognized the
  need for a friendly line editor and developed "TED"; this editor
  has gained wide acceptance and popularity in the department and is
  the "standard" editor. Here's what it has:

		o A user-oriented set of error messages that attempt to
		  fully describe any errors the user makes.
		o Protection against accidentally quitting the editor without
		  saving the buffer.
		o Optional autosaving every 'n' added lines or changes to the
		  buffer.
		o A comprehensive set of options to custom tailor the editing
		  enviroment.
		o The ability to revert to a less-verbose set of error messages
		  by changing an option.
		o The abiltiy to "recover" buffers that occasionally get lost
		  because of a system crash--combined with autosaving it
		  provides a protection against loss of files.
		o A pseudo PF-key faciltiy to define often-used editor commands
		  with short escape sequences.
		o Is compatible with Bell's 'ed' editor--it is in fact a direct
		  descendant.
		o Has the ability to initialize options and execute editor
		  commands from a "profile" (much like .login or .profile).
		o Has a help facility.

One of its major problems, however, is that at this time its help
  files are badly in need of reworking--this should be rectified
  shortly.
If you are interested please contact me at decvax!utzoo!mleech.