Interleaved files systems?

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Sun Dec 27 00:25:22 AEST 1981

>From TJT at MIT-XX Sun Dec 27 00:12:42 1981
Is anyone using interleaved files systems under 4.1BSD (or V7 unix for that
matter)?  We are interested in finding out if it does a good job of balancing
the load among several disks, and if it is grossly less reliable than simply
creating separate file systems on each of the disks.  We would only be
interleaving two of the three RP06 drives on our system so that provided our
drives stay in alignment, we won't be badly scrod if just one drive goes down.
The other reason we would want to use a multi-disk file system is to avoid
fragmentation of free disk space and simplify the administrative hassle of
backing up file systems.

I will collect replies and make them available to interested parties.
-------