Ain't it the truth? : Versatec on VAX750 resolved

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Sun Dec 27 20:34:13 AEST 1981

>From decvax!ittvax!swatt at Berkeley Sun Dec 27 20:21:03 1981

I sent out some inquires recently about Versatec printers on
VAX 750's, trying to find out why one of our sites couldn't
get it working on their new UNIX system.

Well, I guess Versatecs do work on 750's, but here is yet another
example of the "It's your hardware -- no, it's your software"
runaround.
>From qumeix!markc Wed Dec 23 18:01:35 1981
To: ittvax!swatt

Subject:   Versatec Printer.

We now have our Versatec printer working.  They managed to sell us a
controller with TTL drivers to the printer and a printer with long line
drivers and never the twain shall meet.

We finally persuaded Versatec that their hardware was at fault, after
threatening to have them remove it from our premises.  They kept blaming
the software.

Thanks for your help.

Merry Christmas

Mark Callow.