cast your vote for the new USENET name

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Sun Dec 27 01:21:24 AEST 1981

>From cbosgd!mark at Berkeley Sun Dec 27 01:09:00 1981
Well, the flurries of suggested new names for USENET has died down and now
it's time to take a vote.  I have selected several reasonable sounding
finalists from the suggestions, which are enclosed here.  Would anyone who
cares about the new net name please send me a piece of mail with your vote.
You can vote for more than 1, but be sure to rank them, since all but the first
will only be used to break ties.  Send arpanet mail to mark at berkeley, UUCP
mail to ucbvax!cbosgd!mark or cbosg!cbosgd!mark.

For those who didn't see the last messages or have forgotten, USENET is the
current name of the logical net of sites running the netnews programs.  They
make up an electronic distributed bulletin board.  Much mailing-list-style
discussion also takes place on this network.  The name is being changed
because an incredible number of people are confusing it with UUCP net.

Here are the finalists:
	USENET - current name of net (e.g. a vote not to change it)
	NETNEWS - current name of software
	NEWSNET - news network
	INFONET	- information network
	EIDNET - electronic information distribution
	IDNET - information distribution.
	INDNET - Information and News Dispersal NETwork
	SPIDERNET - Best describes network topology.
	ARACHNET - from Greek mythology (based on spider's webs)