4bsd HT driver bugs?

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Sat Dec 26 23:31:00 AEST 1981

>From decvax!ittvax!swatt at Berkeley Sat Dec 26 23:18:46 1981

Several times now I have had occasion to write tapes just a little too
large for a 2400 ft reel.  Every time the tape simply came off the reel,
a very unpleasant experience with a TU78 since you have to trick the
damned autoloader logic into rewinding instead of going forward to
seek the beginning of tape mark.

Have others run into this problem?  Can it be a hardware glitch
(the drive does properly locate the beginning of tape mark).  I have
checked to see that the tapes we use do have the little mylar strip
on them.

Thx,

	- Alan S. Watt (decvax!ittvax!swatt)
	ITT Programming Technology Center