Western Peripherals Model 130 tape controller, long opinion

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!menlo70!sri-unix!RAM at MIT-MC utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!menlo70!sri-unix!RAM at MIT-MC
Tue Dec 29 21:16:35 AEST 1981

From: Robert A. Morris <RAM at MIT-MC>
I run this with a Cipher dual density drive on my 11/34 and a v6 TM11
driver I got from Harvard. It works fine. I had some early minor
problem which a board swap fixed. My rep loaned me a board while the
warranty repair was done.  The Cipher drive went through three vacuum
transducers in 4 months, but each comes with a one year parts and
labor warranty so I never paid for any of them. The Cipher people
claimed that improved design should stop this problem and it seems
to have.

The controller does fine on all DEC diagnostics.
Like many such drives, Kennedy too I think, you can strap it
to take it's density from the panel or by controller command. The
TC130 supports this, but for reasons I can't remember I chose the
former.

I had some occasional bus contention with my RL01's when I still
had them as swap device. This was minor and I hope irrelevant
to VAXen.

I have the highest regard for Western's post sale service. They are
incredibly helpful on the phone and do warranty work promply
and cheerfully.

--bob morris