idle job killer

utzoo!duke!decvax!ucbvax!CSVAX.mark at Berkeley utzoo!duke!decvax!ucbvax!CSVAX.mark at Berkeley
Sun Jun 14 13:19:06 AEST 1981

An idle job uses up a port, which is a scarce resource on a surprising
number of systems.  Not just dialups, but those contended for by
various kinds of port switchers and networks, are affected.
I have worked in such environments, and found them very painful.
Often job killers are installed, and I have seen people go to great
lengths to get around the job killer, because they don't want to lose
their port when they, say, go to lunch (it will be hard to get another).
It is not hard to write a program to fool such a daemon.

Another resource, much less important, is lines in a who command.
People who go home leaving their terminal logged in clutter up
such commands, and can prevent the whole command from fitting on
the screen.  This is pretty picky, though.

	Mark