reaper daemon

utzoo!duke!decvax!ucbvax!mclure at Sri-Unix utzoo!duke!decvax!ucbvax!mclure at Sri-Unix
Wed Jun 10 11:57:01 AEST 1981

Date: 9 Jun 1981 09:03:43-PDT
From: mo at LBL-UNIX (Mike O'Dell)
To: mclure at sri-unix
Subject: blastoff
Via:  Lbl-Unix.ArpaNet; 9 Jun 81 9:10-PDT

Yes, I have a program, called "blastoff", which does what you want by
taking advantage of the fact that all our general use terminals come in
through two dataswitches (a Develcon and a Gandalf).  When the blastoff
time arrives, it does an "stty 0 hup >/dev/tty??", which the dataswitch
interprets as a computer-originated disconnect.  The dataswitch then
drops CD, which causes a Unix Hangup.  This is good because things like
"vi" and some other things will save some state to allow recovery from
the blastoff.

The program is run every 5 minutes by "cron", and because it
simply checks to see if you are over "threshold" idle time,
the period can be [t,t+5] minutes.

If you want a copy of it, you are welcome to it.
	-Mike