Pseudo-disk Driver

utzoo!duke!decvax!ucbvax!Lee.Moore at CMU-10A utzoo!duke!decvax!ucbvax!Lee.Moore at CMU-10A
Sat May 30 15:45:42 AEST 1981

Wanted:		Pseudo-disk Driver
Reply-To:	Lee.Moore at cmu-10a

to the pseudo-tty driver.  The effect I am trying
to achive is to be able to mount a filesystem across
a network.  It seems to me that the best way to
do this is to have a pseudo-block device that
has two ends.  A regular end that is given to the mount
command and a control end.  The control end
would receive low level commands such as read or write
block.  The process on the control end
could then forward the requests over a net.

		If  this is not clear, please
		send me a note and I will try to elucidate.

[Historical note:  I originally saw a version of this at the
National Bureau of Standards where the remote
filesystem resided on a PDP-10 (as one large file).
It was faster to use the '10s disk than RK05s.(!)
Unfortuately, this mechinism was tightly bound to the device
driver for the link.]

	Many Thanks,
	    Lee