4bsd kmc/dz's?, who's 4bsding at btl?

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Thu Oct 22 19:10:26 AEST 1981

>From decvax!randvax!utah-cs!lepreau at Berkeley Thu Oct 22 18:34:00 1981
Andy, my source (very reliable) tells me there's practically no reason on
earth to use kmc/dz's.  We nearly exclusively use ABLE dh's (either their
older DMAX - 8per board, or their new super-max dh/dm's with 16 on a
board) on machines ranging from 11/45 thru 11/750 to Dec-2060, thus
getting the same functionality as kmc/dz's (dma output).
ABLE makes great stuff.... dz's all by themselves now cost as much as
dh's, never mind the kmc and all that cost.  There are only 2 situations
where a kmc/dz might make sense: either your configuration is huge, so
the cost differential isn't so bad (one kmc and lots of dz's), or you
want to do your own fancy programming of the kmc, say on the input side.
However, everything I've heard says that you'd have to be a masochist
with lots of time to burn in order to tackle the kmc.
	Jay Lepreau
	lepreau at utah-20, decvax!randvax!utah-cs!lepreau