mailing list distributions

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Wed Oct 28 20:20:32 AEST 1981

Via:  Ucb-C70.ArpaNet; 28 Oct 81 19:49-PDT

In-real-life: Steven M. Bellovin

The problem we've all been complaining about recently is that some
mail systems (often MMDF, from U. of Delaware, I think) try to warn
you if a message is delayed, or can't be delivered.  It's a good idea
for personal communications, as Dave Crocker mentioned, but seems to
fail when used for broad-spectrum mailing lists.  My take is that a
single mechanism is being used for two different purposes, and that
*two* types of lists are needed -- the second type would be used for
things like unix-wizards, and failure messages would go to the list
maintainer, listing only the recipients who did not get the message.