rc etymology

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Sat Oct 31 17:08:13 AEST 1981

>From CSVAX.dmr at Berkeley Sat Oct 31 16:58:15 1981
The name 'rc' comes from RUNCOM, which was the rough equivalent
on the MIT CTSS system of what Unix calls shell scripts.  Of course
RUNCOM derives from 'run commands.'

Yet another piece of evidence for my thesis that Unix is a modern
version of CTSS.  (I said it ca. 1973, so 'modern' is questionable.)
Any who used '. SAVED' will have no trouble conquering the Shell.
Noel I. Morris, do you still live?
		Your indefatigable historian,
		Dennis Ritchie