Fixed length identifiers

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Thu Oct 29 08:14:27 AEST 1981

>From THOMAS at UTAH-20 Thu Oct 29 07:24:54 1981
(Sorry if this is one of many, but I haven't seen any other responses yet.)

The reason for 6 character identifiers on many systems is not because the C
implementors wanted it that way, but because the assembler, loader, etc.
only support 6 characters (sometimes upper-case only).  Speaking of
name length limitations, does anybody have the 4BSD arbitrary-length
names implemented on the 11?  (8 isn't enough for me (or 7 - yuk).)
=S
-------