Number of UNIX users on a VAX

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Thu Oct 1 11:42:27 AEST 1981

>From decvax!pur-ee!root at Berkeley Thu Oct  1 10:49:39 1981
There have been comments recently in news about the number of users
present or supportable on various systems.  We recently hit the
Century mark (over 100) users on our Dual-Processor Vax 11/780 system.
The record at present is 105 users logged in at one time, although
70-80 is typical and normal.  Most users are instructional compiles,
edits, etc., although some research jobs are present.  Our system
runs 4.1BSD (modified where necessary for the Dual-Processor code).
George Goble and Mike Marsh of the Purdue EE Digital Services Group
are overall responsible for this effort.

A paper is in development which describes in more detail the
implementation, so requests for information will be delayed until
such time as a final report is issued.

		Art Feather (pur-ee!aef)
P.S.  Attempt #3 at getting this out.