origin of rc

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Sat Oct 31 19:08:38 AEST 1981

>From decvax!pur-ee!purdue!mab at Berkeley Sat Oct 31 18:58:30 1981

Notice the r and c keys are just right of the e and x keys on the standard
typewriter keyboard; maybe that had something to do with it.

On the other hand, it could always stand for "reconfigure". I think that's
why the script that brings up multiuser UNIX is called "rc"; the suffix
"rc" probably came from this.

Personally, I like the first explanation better.

					Matt Bishop (purdue!mab)