TOPS-10 Interchange Backup Tapes

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Mon Oct 5 23:17:07 AEST 1981

>From ESVAX.clemc at Berkeley Mon Oct  5 23:14:28 1981
	Mike Accetta at CMU wrote a program called Backup10 to read
PDP-10 backup tapes in interchange mode.  The DUMPER program supposedly
uses BACKUP format, BUT it writes one or two extra records out (which I
have never found out what they are, but no real worry they are 20
dependant and should be ignored).  I have used the program successfully
to read DUMPER tapes with a mild kludge (e.g. running BACKUP10 through
adb, wait for it to die and re-running with a breakpoint and fix the
problem).  You are welcome to the code, if anyone out there knows what
that extra junk is, I'll be happy to fix backup10 to ignore thoses
records (like the TEN does).
	By they way, I have never had any problem getting DUMPER to
read, BACKUP10 or standard PDP-10 backup tapes.  When I was using it I
used to:  run dumper on the 20, go over to a standard ten monitor,
read the tape, then re-write it.  This is a hack but, my tapes were
always portable.
	Clem Cole