at Berkeley

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!network utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!network
Thu Oct 1 11:40:55 AEST 1981

Subject: Re:  bug related to mounted file systems and ..
Via:  Ucb-C70.ArpaNet; 30 Sep 81 14:35-PDT

In-real-life: Steven M. Bellovin

Bill Shannon's second bug is not confined to mounted file systems; it
is not possible to do a pwd from any directory where something up (down?)
the tree from it is not readable by the user attempting the pwd.  We
have that problem here with uucp, since /usr/lib/uucp is searchable
but not readable (which we probably should change....).  I've heard
this touted as a feature, though, to prevent certain kinds of snooping
by users who are dying to learn about home directories.  Why they couldn't
just read /etc/passwd was never made entirely clear.