locking

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Thu Sep 10 02:12:03 AEST 1981

>From chico!esquire!psl at Berkeley Thu Sep 10 02:06:51 1981
Steven Bellovin's note about daemons running afoul of the Interactive Sys.
union of real & effective uid reminds me of a question that has been bothering
me for a while -- Why Does Anybody Use Creat(II) As A Lock Mechanism?
Link(II) works fine.  There's no problem with root being treated differently
than other uids.  I have been using it for years with no problems (aside from
the problems of dangling locks when a system crashes which creat() also suffers
and which is not always a Bad Thing).  So what is it that keeps people using
creat(II)?