Mass Mailers get Go-Ahead

utzoo!decvax!duke!chico!zeppo!harpo!cbosg!cbosgd!mark utzoo!decvax!duke!chico!zeppo!harpo!cbosg!cbosgd!mark
Wed Jan 6 10:30:39 AEST 1982

I would love to see a hookup between either the arpanet or UUCP net and
the new ECOM service.  Since USPS charges real money, there would probably
be a problem unless each organization had its own gateway into the system.
But the rates are so cheap ($.25 per note) that somebody might get generous!
It's so convenient to send electronic mail that it would sure make me a
lot more likely to send US mail.  (Alas, what I REALLY need it for is personal
mail - how many of you write your mother as often as you would if you could
do it as easily as sending me mail?)

Allow me to propose a syntax for addresses:
	Mark.Horton/5850.Local.Ln.Apt.2A/Columbus,.Ohio.43213 at USPS
where / means newline, . means space.  Many mailers can handle spaces,
but many can't, so the . translation (optional if spaces can be used
directly) should be available.  The extreme length might tax some mailers.
Does the presence of slashes and dots break any?