DEC DH11 on VAX - Final Answer

utzoo!decvax!shannon utzoo!decvax!shannon
Wed Jan 6 10:15:12 AEST 1982

I hope this will be the final answer to the question "do DEC
DH11's work on a VAX Unibus".  As Dave Martindale said, he has
two DEC DH11's on his 780 and they work just fine.  We have
run DH11's on 780's in-house with no problems.  I even think
we have run them on 750's as well.  The reason DH11's are not
supported on the VAX is purely a marketing/maintenance/support/
verification issue.  It has nothing to do with whether or not
they will work in some configurations.  The DEC DH11 has a bad
maintenance history and is an expensive option so it was not
felt to be worthwhile to take it through the system verification
process to make sure it will work in all configurations, and
to develop all the drivers and diagnostics for it.  It was
expected that it would be replaced by a better device in the
near future.  Unfortunately, the replacement is a bit late.

So, the answer is:  They do work, but don't ask for support!

					Bill Shannon
					DEC Unix Engineering Group
					decvax!shannon