WECo UNIX sales

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!mhtsa!ihnss!houxi!houxd!houxc!hound!houti!houxt!houxn!houxg!lime!we13!rjk utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!mhtsa!ihnss!houxi!houxd!houxc!hound!houti!houxt!houxn!houxg!lime!we13!rjk
Wed Jan 13 08:50:51 AEST 1982

It has been the policy of Western Electric to distribute (for sale) UNIX
systems which were one release below the internal releases.  This is so
that we could not be accused of selling "front end" technology in a
competitive market place.  It was ruled that distributing older versions
of UNIX was simply "sharing the knowledge" with the rest of the world.

Based on the recent DOJ rulings, outside releases of UNIX may someday
nearly correspond to the internal releases.  In any case, a learned user
of UNIX will tell you to never become confortable with what you've got.
As soon as you understand it and use it a lot it will become obsolete.
If you discover a bug they will document it as a feature.  The viscosity
of UNIX is extremely low; the mixture changes constantly.  This may be
why UNIX is so popular and well loved/hated.  Have you ever heard of
anyone getting bored with UNIX?  (D.M.R. excluded)

					we13!rjk