allegra.176 - withdraw ARACHNET name

utzoo!decvax!ittvax!swatt utzoo!decvax!ittvax!swatt
Wed Jan 6 16:42:58 AEST 1982

I'm sorry, the name "Arachne" comes from the Greek Myths (they predate
even DOS), so I regard it as open for anyone to use.  For the curious:

	Arachne was a woman whose skill at weaving (and her own claims
	about it) was so great, it provoked a contest with the godess
	Athena.  Needless to say, Athena won. To punish Arache for
	daring to compare herself to the gods, Athena turned her into a
	spider so she could weave forever.

	It is from this myth the biological classification "arachnids"
	is named.

I fail to see how anyone can claim proprietary rights on a word that
has been in common use for hundreds (thousands?) of years to name
things like or pertaining to spiders.

	- Alan S. Watt (decvax!ittvax!swatt)